On May 28, York Regional Council authorized the execution of a Preliminary Agreement with the Province of Ontario to fund and build the Yonge North Subway Extension [YNSE] project. The finalization of the Preliminary Agreement is a significant milestone for the Province, York Region, the cities of Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan.
Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario are working together to lead the project delivery, which will strengthen the regional transit system, by once again, extending subway service outside of Toronto into York Region.
The target completion date is 2029-30.
The signing of the Preliminary Agreement ensures that the Province of Ontario, York Region and the City of Toronto are fully committed to working together in partnership to get critical projects such as the Yonge North Subway Extension built.
Benefits of the Yonge North Subway Extension:
- over 60,000 new jobs along the YNSE corridor by 2031, including up to 21,800 person-years of employment from construction alone.
- over up to 3,300 fewer bus trips/workday on Yonge by 2030, saving over 13 tonnes of greenhouse gas per workday.
- the YNSE will connect Markham, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan, which includes two of the largest employment megahubs in the GTA.
- will serve potential ridership of 165,000 per day [2 people per second].
- will invigorate housing for 88,000 new residents by unlocking planned development in the Richmond Hill/ Langstaff Growth Centre and along the YNSE corridor.
It's vital to receive a full funding commitment from the federal government to get this critical project built.
Investment in shovel-ready infrastructure is an essential part of any fiscal stimulus plan that puts people to work and creates assets that will help boost Canada's long-term economic growth for years to come.
YRRTC and York Region will continue working with all levels of government to help move this critical project forward.
For more information on the Yonge North Subway Extension project, including our fact sheet, brochure and video, and to stay informed on our updates, please visit www.vivanext.com/YongeSubwayExt.